Long time lurker, not really much to add to what has been said by most people :-)
Looking some advice.... been asked to teach at a kids summer camp for the local school/community that I live in. Its not something I've done before and I do teach kids, however, they are usually are a bit higher in rank by the time that happens so the kids an interest.
I know the main thing will be fun as I will have 1 hour with the kids over 2 sessions each time with 25 kids in each group.
So, thinking of itinerary and ideas??
Some of these could include:
- fitness based stuff like cones, runs, crawling, teaching them tactical standups from the ground and a group exercise I would do in my class where its constant surveilance and scanning if you get touched you have to do an exercise.
- talk about anti-bullying with a Q n A and separate the groups out so they compete against each other in their respective groups (hopefully engage them more as kids can be competitive?)
- little bit of padwork (palm heels, knees for example)
- some standard karate techniques (trying to make it as fun as possible with lots of encouragement)
- self-protection type scenario's like defending pushes, wrist grabs etc, again putting a fun element spin on it.
- few games e.g. land/sea/air etc
Will be looking at Jamie Clubbs stuff too but wanting to get the opinion of you guys and also see if this is something any of you have done before and can offer advice/guidance on things to do or have done?
Thanks in advance!!
All the best,